I was working on a few rough designs for a couple weeks in Maya. First trying to think about building onto a previous shelf I built. However, based on the number of books we managed to unpack we realized that we needed that first full shelf and then another.
So after another redesign we came up with a different wall unit that would be mounted into the wall. We then learned that along the whole wall there didn't seem to be a single stud, and having the shelves only supported by drywall just wouldn't work. Figures.
So plan number three involved just building a whole other shelf out of the wood for the shelf part of the wall unit, leaving just the workspace to finish in the main room. After going to the tool library about 6 times, and back and forth to home depot upwards of 10 times, I can say that more than happy to be finished. I think it will need a second coat of stain in the summer, nit it's too stinky to do inside now and it was way too cold to do this outside.